Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Think about a world the place youngsters fortunately keep themselves busy and learning whereas doing actions that they love and studying math on the identical time. A spot the place youngsters compete in a pleasant approach by doing athletic actions, inventive video games, and studying books.
Sounds too good to be true, proper?
I’ve all the time heard that necessity is the mom of invention and that is definitely true of this Journey Factors concept. Ever had a kind of motherhood moments the place each baby wanted one thing on the identical time, one had simply spilled a smoothie in every single place and the infant wanted a diaper change?
I had a kind of moments and realized that for the sake of my sanity and the children’ exercise ranges I wanted to have a plan for summer that didn’t contain them watching TV day by day.
We reinstitute the system each summer season or over breaks. It places my kids’ natural creative and competitive sides to work for the nice of all!
What Are Journey Factors?
We have already got the “Mom I’m Bored Jar” which works rather well however is extra of a assist when they’re already bored. I wished to discover a solution to encourage them to discover actions with out becoming bored within the first place.
Briefly, it is a easy system of factors for doing inventive or athletic actions that encourages motion and creative play over TV watching. It additionally has surprisingly lowered the bickering and combating in our home.
The concept for the title “Journey Factors” got here from my kids’ hiking boots, which they name “Journey Boots” since they put on them for mountain climbing, fort constructing, and different out of doors adventures.
How Journey Factors Work
I sat down with a bit of paper and considered actions I wished my youngsters to do that summer season and assigned some extent worth to every. The children helped me brainstorm and we got here up with an enormous checklist of actions that they take pleasure in (that don’t contain a display or a snack). Issues like:
- Driving bikes (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Pull-ups = 2 factors every
- Push-ups = 1 level every
- Swimming = (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Drawing (30 minutes) = 5 factors
- Making ready a meal for the household = 20 factors
- Studying a e-book = 5 factors
- Studying a chapter e-book = 20 factors
- Fort-building = 20 factors per hour
- Folding origami (30 minutes) = 10 factors (Nice tutorials in this book)
- Make paper airplanes (30 minutes) = 10 factors (They love this book for ideas)
- Draw with sidewalk chalk (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Learn to a sibling (30 minutes) = 25 factors every
- Do a chore (not on common chore checklist) = 10 factors
- Play Monopoly = 15 factors
- Play Scrabble = 15 factors
- Climb a tree = 5 factors per tree
- Play Battleship = 10 factors
- Play Chess = 10 factors
- Water the crops = 5 factors
- Play Uno = 5 factors
- Play Struggle (card sport) = 10 factors
- Jump rope = 3 factors
- Play Apples to Apples = 10 factors
- Play hopscotch = 2 factors
- Weed backyard (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Play a sport of wiffle ball = 15 factors
- Run across the yard 5 instances = 10 factors
- Bounce on the trampoline for 10 minutes = 3 factors
- Do a puzzle = 20 factors
- Do 25 cartwheels = 10 factors
- Write and mail a letter to associates or household = 10 factors
- Create a scavenger hunt for siblings = 10 factors
- Play Legos (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Get caught doing one thing sudden and sort = 50 factors bonus
- Rollerblade outdoors (30 minutes) = 10 factors
- Take heed to a historical past podcast = 10 factors
- Watch a TED discuss (from this list) = 10 factors
- Watch/do a lesson from Udemy or Great Courses = 15 factors
I considered about 50 actions that have been value factors and assigned values to every. Then, I made an inventory of enjoyable household actions that may be good objectives for milestone factors. 100 factors would earn a healthy dessert after dinner one evening whereas 1000 factors would earn a bigger reward like a particular exercise, new artwork provides, or a contribution towards one thing they’ve been wanting. (Tip: Use stuff you plan on doing anyway! That is only a enjoyable approach for the children to earn them).
I’ve additionally discovered that the children are excited to be useful round the home after I provide “bonus factors” for doing the issues above and past their normal responsibilities.
After a number of days of utilizing the system, I made a decision to create two separate lists for older youngsters (8+) and youthful ones (7 and below) to match their ability ranges because the youthful youngsters have been being left behind by older youngsters (who might do many extra pull-ups!).
The way to Implement Journey Factors
Should you’d like to do that system (and I’d extremely advocate it!), listed here are a number of suggestions for getting began:
1. Determine on Actions That Work in Your House/Yard
Make an inventory of actions you’d like your youngsters to do and break it down by age group if wanted. Determine how a lot every exercise is value within the level system you’d like to make use of and assign some extent worth to every. Be at liberty to make use of my checklist as a begin!
2. Determine on Rewards
Likelihood is that whereas factors are an excellent motivator, your youngsters gained’t be thrilled with simply incomes factors that don’t imply something. Determine on what the factors will enable the children to do or earn and create an inventory of this for the children. We attempt to focus on activities and experiences rather than stuff so our rewards have been actions, however bodily rewards will be nice too particularly if they are going to assist youngsters be lively or construct a life ability.
Some concepts of fabric rewards that encourage studying:
3. Monitor the Factors
I spotted that the system wouldn’t encourage the unbiased inventive time I hoped for if the children needed to test in with me each time they did an exercise to get the factors. I made a decision to make use of the dignity system (which has labored rather well up to now) and get every child a small spiral notebook to trace factors. This fashion, the children observe their factors every day and I simply tally as soon as a day to maintain the operating totals.
I additionally created a chart to assist observe the factors for every exercise. You can download a copy for yourself here.
4. Take pleasure in Watching Your Youngsters Be taught and Play!
I used to be actually hoping that creating “Journey Factors” would unlock a few of my time by stopping the refrains of “I’m bored” and “Can we watch a film.” It definitely has and I’m positively grateful for that.
I’ve discovered that much more than the free time, I’ve loved watching my youngsters’ creativity soar and the older youngsters play with the youthful ones extra simply since they’ve extra construction and concepts for actions (and since there’s a purpose in thoughts). Additionally, protecting observe of factors has been a enjoyable and sudden math increase for the little youngsters as I preserve listening to questions like “Does 243 plus 15 equal 258?!” 🙂
Your flip! What are some enjoyable methods you encourage creativity and exercise throughout free time at dwelling?